Daria Zappa is principal violinist with the casalQuartett.
She has performed around the globe and participated at such renowned cycles and festivals as the Schleswig Holstein Musikfestival, the Beethoven Fest Bonn, Rheingau Festival, Spring Festival Budapest and the Lucerne Festival, as well as in world-class concert halls including the Philharmonie Köln, Tonhalle Zürich, Musashino Hall Tokyo, Palau de la Musica Valencia, Philharmonie Essen, Konzerthaus Berlin, Philharmonie Luxembourg, Musikfestspiele Potsdam, Laeiszhalle Hamburg, Muziekgebouw Amsterdam and the Stadthaus Bregenz at the side of such musicians as Martha Argerich, Giora Feidman, Heinz Holliger, Clemens Hagen, Maurice Steger, Christoph Prégardien, the Carmina Quartett and many more.
Zappa is responsible for the conception of three festivals in Switzerland (Boswiler Sommer, Arosa Festival and Festival der Stille in Kaiserstuhl) and can be heard performing on regularly released CD productions: "Birth of the String Quartet" was awarded the Echo Klassik Prize in the Chamber Music Recording of the Year category 2010.
As a soloist, Darius Zappa has performed with the most renowned orchestras of Switzerland, Italy and South America; most recently under the baton of H. Holliger with the Orchestra della Svizzera Italiana.
Following completion of her Matura, Darius Zappa began studies at the Hochschule für Musik Freiburg in 1995, initially under the tutelage of prof. Jörg Hofmann (music teaching and orchestral diploma in 2000), then under prof. Rainer Kussmaul (soloist's diploma in 2002). She received further important impulses from J.J.Kantorov, D. DeLay, G. Schulz, D. Schwarzberg, F. Gulli und D. Zsigmondy.
Born in Tessin, Zappa teaches at the MKZ (ex Zurich conservatory for classic and jazz) and was the assistant of Benjamin Schmidt at the Hochschule der Künste in Bern until 2011. In addition to her activity as a songwriter, she also plays and improvises the blues and jazz together with her brother Mattia and her father Marco.
Her violin was constructed in Brescia in 1778 by Gian Baptista Mezzabotte.